Dumas Wesley Community Center’s transitional housing program, Sybil H. Smith Family Village, (SSFV) was founded in 1999 to fill a void in housing services for women and families experiencing homelessness. To date, the program has served more than 850 individuals and 238 families from Mobile and Baldwin Counties, coastal Mississippi, and north Florida.
SSFV seeks to help families experiencing homelessness establish and maintain self-sufficiency. The program combines transitional housing for up to 24 months and is able to accommodate up to 17 families.
Major program goals are:
- To meet families’ immediate need for stable housing so they are free to work on overcoming obstacles to self-sufficiency,
- Help families obtain job skills and educational skills so they can financially support their families,
- Help families overcome other critical obstacles such as lack of affordable childcare so parents may work outside the home,
- Help families recover from and avoid the trauma which homelessness and economic instability causes to their health, self-esteem and emotional development, and
- Help families secure and retain permanent housing when they complete the Family Village program.
Each family is assessed at time of entry into the program and a detailed case management plan is formulated. Last year, residents were referred to 29 different United Way agencies. Each adult resident meets at least once weekly with the case manager to review goals and achievements. Life Skills classes are provided in employment readiness and retention, parenting, budgeting, relationship skills, health issues and other skills necessary to live independently. Each resident volunteers an average of 30 hours per quarter in the community.
Please contact Sybil H. Smith Family Village at 251-473-5526 for further information on eligibility requirements and application procedures.
Sybil H. Smith Family Village HMIS Privacy/Public Notices
Donate to the Village:
Make an online donation to support Sybil H. Smith Family Village!
In order to support our programs and services, Sybil H. Smith Family Village relies heavily on donations from individuals, churches, companies and foundations. We’re grateful to you for giving your time to help us meet critical needs for our residents at the Village. All donations are tax deductible. For more information on how you can get involved please contact 251-473-5526 or download the wish list below.